Re: re: Matlab Programs with Octave

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: re: Matlab Programs with Octave
Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2013 14:29:34 -0400

On Sun, 2013-09-08 at 11:17 -0500, Dmitri A. Sergatskov wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 8, 2013 at 6:23 AM, syberraith <address@hidden>
> wrote:

> > I ironed out a few more things. It still goes straight to
> > complaining about an illegal function call.
> >
> > Is there any way of tracking down what function it is?
> >
> >         octave:1> pkg load optim
> >         octave:2> TuParam EL34
>         panic: Illegal instruction -- stopping myself...
>
> This is a bug in your version of octave or its support libraries.

It depends on what TuParam is itself or is calling. For example, if it
is a compiled oct or mex file for the wrong architecture.

There is a problem in older versions of Debian with ATLAS. If
syberraith has an old CPU that doesn't support SSE2 instructions,
Octave will crash due to the way ATLAS is compiled on these older
Debian versions. An alternative is to make Octave use another BLAS:

   http://bugs.debian.org/682591
   http://bugs.debian.org/705837
   http://bugs.debian.org/635520

If it's unfeasible to update the Debian version, it may be sufficient
to do "apt-get remove libatlas3gf-base".

- Jordi G. H.