Re: request for help with textread

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: request for help with textread
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2013 16:15:51 -0700 (PDT)

Kristoffer Walker wrote
> Philip,
>
> First off, thank you for the quick response, and on the weekend.
> Secondly, thanks so much for developing textread.

It's not me who developed it; that was Eric + a few core devs. But I did
amend a few things, yes.

Many Octave contributors and developers are volunteers who have time for
Octave only in the evenings and weekends.

> <snip>
> :
> That installed version 3.6.1.  Is there a similar set of commands that
> will enable me to install 3.6.4?  If not, maybe compiling it from source
> is not a painful experience?

It depends. I don't know debian/debian-based Linux distros as Ubuntu / Mint
/ .... Jason gave some useful hints in another post.

BUT... it won't help. I just checked: this bug was still present in 3.6.4
(that is, in the 3.6.4 version I run). I think it was fixed in one of these:
http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/2175c41b12d1  (6 months ago)
or more probably even here:
http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/98aaebc56d7c  (1.5 year ago)
...but AFAICS these fixes weren't applied to the stable branch but to the
development branch. That means they'll appear in 3.8.0, not in 3.6.x.

So what you could do:
Get textread.m from the development version here:
http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/file/e04847bbcfdf/scripts/io/textread.m
(select "raw" in left column)

Put it in your working directory, and try again. In that case it is run
instead of the official 3.6.1 textread (the latter is "shadowed") as the
working directory is usually before all other subdirs in the search path.
For me this worked in 3.6.4 and 3.6.2 with your test data, hopefully it'll
work with 3.6.1 as well. YMMV
This textread.m version is also a lot faster for big data files.

BIG FAT WARNING: don't try this with other core Octave function files! I
know textread.m enough to say with some confidence that this is fairly safe,
but in general this trick boils down to asking for trouble.

Philip