Re: Open a file using default application

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: Open a file using default application
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2013 07:36:23 -0700 (PDT)

vinukn wrote
> I am developing a octave gui frontend
> project(http://sourceforge.net/projects/domainmath/). Project can create
> some files like xlsx,xml, image files. After creating these files,my
> application has to open these files using default application. Currently i
> solved this problem using java and java package, but i am searching for a
> simple solution. I found open function in matlab, is any equivalent
> function for open function in octave?

Reliably reading spreadsheet files is no easy job. All the quick and dirty
solutions I've seen sooner or later break because there are so many versions
and sub-versions of the various file formats. And that is without taking
into account all the user flexibility reflected in real world files: merged
cells, hidden columns, indirect cell references, cell content disguised as
different data types by special cell formatting, etc.

Markus Bergholz has been / is working on an xlsxread.m written in "pure
Octave" but that project is still a bit in its infancy (though very
promising).

So for spreadsheet files you're presently stuck to Java or ActiveX based
solutions.
Now, as DomainMathIDE is written in Java (isn't it), what's the problem
anyway with Java-based solutions? (apart from supplying Java class libs with
GPL, or GPL-compatible, licenses?)
Those Java based solutions may not be the fastest, but they are as reliable
as you can get.

BTW how does your project "create" those xlsx, xml and image files?

Philip