Re: problems installing openmpi_ext

From: c.
Subject: Re: problems installing openmpi_ext
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2013 15:06:14 +0200

On 3 Sep 2013, at 14:40, Francis Poulin <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello,
Hi,

Please ask these questions keeping the list in CC as others may also be
interested.

> There are a lot of calculations that I do in octave that are computationally
> intensive.  Often there are loops that I think would parallelize very easily.

Before you resort to parallelization make sure youre code is fully vectorized
where possible:

http://jordi.platinum.linux.pl/octave.html/Vectorization-and-Faster-Code-Execution.html

the speed up between vectorized and non vectorized code is often one or two
orders of magnitude.

>  I suspect that openmpi_ext could do this sort of stuff but it's a matter of
> how difficult is it to get started.

if you just want to speed up a lengthy loop you are probably better off trying
with "pararrayfun" or "parcellfun" from the package general.
you can find an usage example in this presentation:
http://jordi.platinum.linux.pl/octave/what-is-octave.pdf

> Thanks,
> Francis

c.