Re: Octave/Msys Beep Disable on WIndows

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: Octave/Msys Beep Disable on WIndows
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2013 00:49:15 -0700 (PDT)

JasonNicholson wrote
> I work in a shared office environment.  I cannot allow the beep/bell to be
> active.  With Octave, it has taken me several days to track down how to
> disable it.  Here is how:
>
> The key is that the environment variable "bell-style" must be set to
> "none" for MSYS which comes with Octave.  There is two other options
> "audible" and "visible".  Note that the "visible" setting seems to produce
> the same result as "audible"  with Octiave 3.6.4 compiled with visual
> studio and msys/bin/sh.exe version 3.1.17(1)-release (i686-pc-msys).
>
> 1. You need to edit Octave-3.6.4\share\octave\3.6.4\m\startup\inputrc
> 2. Add this to the end of inputrc:
>
> ## Disable the beep!
> set bell-style none
>

> 3.  Restart Octave and check that it is disabled.
>

> I know in coming years some will find this thread and the procedure will
> be a little different.  I bet the key will be finding the "inputrc" file.
>
> God Speed,
> Jason Nicholson
>
> PS: If the maintainers have a better solution, please reply to this
> thread.

Thanks very much, Jason.
A good entry for an "embed Octave in labor environment" / ergonomics
section, perhaps on the wiki.

Indeed the bell may be obtrusive. Our ICT dept, inspired by many other
audible programs and websites, applied the rigorous solution: simply
disconnect all built-in speakers, but keep headphone ports connected.
At home (where it often gets very late -if not too late) your trick is very
welcome as well!

Philip