Re: am stuck with quadratic function

From: Macy
Subject: Re: am stuck with quadratic function
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 09:04:01 -0700

"...best quadratic fit..."

You didn't specify WHAT deems a 'best fit'

Probably want best fit as the sqrt of the sum of squared errors
but sometimes there are 'weighted' criteria, assigning importance to the data
in different manners
there is an old DOS program that will do the former, instantly, while trying to
plot the data, but as with most polynomial solutions it weights the answers
'away' from the origin, in other words, larger numbers take precedent NOT
percentage numbers.

So begs the question, what EXACT criteria is meant by 'best fit'?