Re: saving core file

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: saving core file
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 10:49:22 -0400

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 15:30:55 -0400, Leo Butler wrote:
> I'm a bit of a pack-rat, I guess. I like to save my current octave
> session in the core file and reload it when I start up again. This works
> well for me.
>
> My question: is it possible to dump the core file from within octave?
> Alternatively, does
>
> save -binary octave-state
>
> do approx. the same thing?

Yes, that's basically the answer you're looking for. Taking into
account the optional size limit you can set on the core file, of
course.

> I notice that
>
> load octave-core
> save -binary octave-state
>
> is not idempotent, i.e. octave-core and octave-state do differ.

You can compare the contents to see what is different for your
scenario. I changed the core file to save as text and the only
difference I saw was the hidden variable .nargin. in the core file.

Make sure you use octave_core_file_name instead of the string
"octave-core", the default name will be changing to "octave-workspace"
for the next major release of Octave.

--
mike