Speed up startup of octave

From: Paul
Subject: Speed up startup of octave
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 17:18:31 +0000 (UTC)

I am constantly shelling out of a text editor (vim) to pipe text into
octave.  But octave takes seconds to launch each time.  Is there a way to
speed it up?

As a nonideal solution, I can keep a command line window open with an
interactive octave session constantly running, then use it to repeatedly
source a script for which I have a separate edit session constantly open.  I
can have a second edit session open for the output of the repeatedly sourced
script.  This is way less convenient than simply shelling out of a single
edit session, without having to use an extra window for octave.