Re: dct in Octave

From: Jeff
Subject: Re: dct in Octave
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 20:13:15 -0400

Hi, I forgot about this (sorry all who've been helping). I just wrote my own dct function when I realized how simple it was. Unfortunately, it's not very fast - to put it mildly - so now I'm back.

Octave is on a Gentoo Linux cluster. I will look at the source code and will consider Peter S's suggestion of googling "ltfat" (though I'm not entirely sure why I'm doing that - but then, that's the point of googling something).

On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 11:58 AM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden> wrote:
On 1 August 2013 23:51, Jeffrey <address@hidden> wrote:
> error: the following dependencies where unsatisfied:
>    control needs octave >= 3.6.0
>
> Do I need to install 'specfun', 'control' and 'general'? Same method? *Am I
> out of luck* since I don't have a recent enough version of Octave?

How is Octave installed on that system? Some Red Hat or CentOS
version? If so, there might be a corresponding octave-signal rpm that
your sysadmin can install and goes with this version of Octave, so
that you don't have to install it from source.

It's also possible that dct works from the signal package alone
without needing all of the dependencies. You can grab its source code
here:

    http://sourceforge.net/p/octave/signal/ci/default/tree/inst/dct.m

>From a quick glance, this one file isn't calling anything but core
Octave functions.