Getting Plots to Fill the Page

From: Martin Senator
Subject: Getting Plots to Fill the Page
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2013 11:19:22 -0400

I had a complex plot (five equally scaled views)
and needed to have the plot use as much of
the page as possible.

Using developers, Version 3.5.x, that I had built
on Ubuntu 10.04, I did (the equivalent of):
 h1 = axes();
 p1 = get(h1,"position")

 and got p1 = .13  .11 .775 .815, the default values;

 then I changed p1 to something like:

 p1 = [ 0.0  -.10  .95 1.40 ]  ;
and did:

 set(h1,"position",p1);

This increased the plot size to use most of the paper.

When I upgraded to Ubuntu 12.04 and built Octave Version
3.6.4 on it, this no longer worked in the 'y' direction
(but continued to work in the 'x' direction).

On another Linux Box running Scientific Linux,
with Octave 3.6.4 also built on it, my complex
scripts ran as before.

Is there a simple fix, or another way to get new
plots to fill the paper (and to continue allowing
me to control positions of additional axes)
on the Ubuntu 12.04 box, my main computer?

Thanks,

Martin Senator