Re: problem with curl installation

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: problem with curl installation
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 10:44:50 -0400

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 07:21:35 +0000, Miran Stojnić wrote:
> I have a problem with installation of curl-7.31.0.tar.gz file. I use
> Windows. I need it for running a Matlab program that calls (with urlread)
> certain web page to download atmospheric soundings.
>
> After typing pkg install curl-7.31.0 it gives error: package is missing file
> DESCRIPTION
>
> After typing pkg install curl-7.31.0 –verbose I can see that it is making a
> new temp folder in MY user directory. Why does it do that? Why doesn't
> create it in Octave folder? Is this the reason why it can't find that
> DESCRIPTION file?
>
> Thank You very much in advance. As You can see, I'm very new in Octave, so I
> would really appreciate Your help.

In short, curl is not an Octave package, you cannot install it with
the pkg command.

Can you explain what was the original problem you encountered? Can you
describe what led you to believe you needed to install curl or that
you could install curl as an Octave package?

Also exactly which Octave installer for Windows did you install from?

--
mike