Re: statistics 1.2.1 released

From: Lukas Reichlin
Subject: Re: statistics 1.2.1 released
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 07:38:43 +0200

On 26.07.2013, at 07:25, Carnë Draug <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 26 July 2013 05:54, Lukas Reichlin <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On 26.07.2013, at 00:38, Carnë Draug <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi everyone
>>>
>>> a new release of the statistics package is out, version 1.2.1, by Arno
>>> Onken. Enjoy Octave responsibly.
>>>
>>> Carnë
>>
>> Thanks Carnë and Arno! I got the following warnings upon package
>> installation:
>>
>> octave:2> pkg install -forge -nodeps statistics
>> warning: function /Users/lukas/octave/statistics-1.2.1/fstat.m shadows a
>> core library function
>> /var/tmp/octave-help-wA7iBd:7: must be after address@hidden' to use
>> address@hidden'
>> /var/tmp/octave-help-wA7iBd:12: must be after address@hidden' to use
>> address@hidden'
>> /var/tmp/octave-help-ZeYrFD:8: must be after address@hidden' to use
>> address@hidden'
>> /var/tmp/octave-help-ZeYrFD:14: must be after address@hidden' to use
>> address@hidden'
>> /var/tmp/octave-help-ZeYrFD:20: must be after address@hidden' to use
>> address@hidden'
>> /var/tmp/octave-help-ZeYrFD:24: must be after address@hidden' to use
>> address@hidden'
>> /var/tmp/octave-help-ZeYrFD:28: must be after address@hidden' to use
>> address@hidden'
>> For information about changes from previous versions of the statistics
>> package, run 'news ("statistics")'.
>
> You're still using TexInfo 5 correct? Do you get those warnings when
> getting the help text for dendogram and hist3? If so, this a problem
> that only appears with the new TexInfo when deftypefnx is used in the
> middle of the help text.
>
> My understanding is that this type of usage of deftypefnx should be
> avoided in first place. When it can't, then the solution is to end
> deftypefn first. See the gallery function [1] in octave core for an
> example where that is done.
>
> Carnë
>
> [1]
> http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/default/scripts/special-matrix/gallery.m

Yes, I'm using TexInfo 5. It is installed by the Fink package manager on OS X
10.8, so I don't know an easy way to downgrade to TexInfo 4.

octave:5> pkg load statistics
warning: function /Users/lukas/octave/statistics-1.2.1/fstat.m shadows a core
library function
octave:6> help dendogram
/var/tmp/octave-help-1XJiUE:7: must be after address@hidden' to use
address@hidden'
/var/tmp/octave-help-1XJiUE:12: must be after address@hidden' to use
address@hidden'
'dendogram' is a function from the file
/Users/lukas/octave/statistics-1.2.1/dendogram.m

 -- Function File: P = dendogram (TREE)
     Plots a dendogram using the output of function 'linkage'.

 -- Function File: P, T = dendogram (TREE)
     Plots the dendrogram and returns a vector t of containing the leaf
     node number for each object in the original dataset.  For now, all
     objects are leaf nodes.

 -- Function File: P, T, PERM = dendogram (TREE)
     Plots the dendrogram, and returns the permutation of the input
     objects used to display the dendrogram, in left-to-right order.

     TODO: Return handle to lines to set properties TODO: Rescale the
     plot automatically base don data.

     See also: linkage

Additional help for built-in functions and operators is
available in the online version of the manual.  Use the command
'doc <topic>' to search the manual index.

Help and information about Octave is also available on the WWW
at http://www.octave.org and via the address@hidden
mailing list.
octave:7> help hist3
/var/tmp/octave-help-pOfq2G:8: must be after address@hidden' to use
address@hidden'
/var/tmp/octave-help-pOfq2G:14: must be after address@hidden' to use
address@hidden'
/var/tmp/octave-help-pOfq2G:20: must be after address@hidden' to use
address@hidden'
/var/tmp/octave-help-pOfq2G:24: must be after address@hidden' to use
address@hidden'
/var/tmp/octave-help-pOfq2G:28: must be after address@hidden' to use
address@hidden'
'hist3' is a function from the file /Users/lukas/octave/statistics-1.2.1/hist3.m

 -- Function File: hist3( X )
     Plots a 2D histogram of the N x 2 matrix X with 10 equally spaced
     bins in both the x and y direction using the 'mesh' function

 -- Function File: hist3( X , NBINS)
 -- Function File: hist3( X , 'Nbins', NBINS)
     Use NBINS equally spaced bins to compute histogram.  If NBINS is a
     2 element vector, use the two values as the number of bins in the x
     and y axis, respectively, otherwise, use the same value for each.

 -- Function File: hist3( X , CENTERS)
 -- Function File: hist3( X , 'Centers', CENTERS)
     Specify the centers of the histogram bins.  CENTERS should be a
     cell array containing two arrays of the bin centers on the x and y
     axis, respectively.

 -- Function File: hist3( X , 'Edges', EDGES)
     Specify the edges of the histogram bins.  EDGES should be a cell
     array containing two arrays of the bin edges on the x and y axis,
     respectively.

 -- Function File: N = hist3( X, ...)
     returns the 2D array of bin counts in N, and does not plot the
     histogram

 -- Function File: [N, C] = hist3( X, ...)
     returns the 2D array of bin counts in N and the bin centers in the
     2 element cell array C, and does not plot the histogram

     See also: hist, mesh

   Authors: Paul Kienzle (segments borrowed from hist2d), Roman Stanchak
(addition of matlab compatible syntax, bin edge arg)

Additional help for built-in functions and operators is
available in the online version of the manual.  Use the command
'doc <topic>' to search the manual index.

Help and information about Octave is also available on the WWW
at http://www.octave.org and via the address@hidden
mailing list.
octave:8>