Re: plotting problem on Mac OSX

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: plotting problem on Mac OSX
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 16:21:05 -0400

On Jul 16, 2013, at 4:12 PM, Chris Daamen wrote:

>>> For what its worth, I am on Lion, and used the strategy as I outlined
>>> before. I do get nice plots in both the ways I explained.
>>
>> Chris, I was typing my reply when you responded.  The response is exactly
>> what is needed for those who wish to install the Octave 3.4.0 bundle on Lion
>> or Mountain Lion.
>>
>> If you're inclined to help out further ... it would be nice if someone added
>> the information to the wiki.  We'd prefer that users use a package manager
>> (which supports the most recent release), but for those who prefer an
>> app-bundle, it would be nice to add a subsection to the end of the page
>> below (should be added just below the warning).
>>
>>      http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_MacOS_X#Installing_a_Mac_OS_X_Bundle
>>
>> Ben
>>
> Ben,
>
> I would certainly like to help further. I myself definitely prefer an app
> bundle above a packet manager. I actually looked into what would be necessary
> to compile Octave into such a bundle myself, but there seem to be
> difficulties that are larger than my limited programming experience can
> handle. If there is anything I could do (test, I guess) I'd love to do that.
> In the meantime I'll study a bit more on the subject. I know how to compile
> applications on OSX when they are written for OSX (and not too complicated),
> but not yet how to make UNIX applications into an OSX app bundle. A simple
> wrapper that fires up a Terminal is fine, as long as all the required
> dependencies are in the bundle and the bundle can be anywhere, and install is
> drag and drop from the dmg into the desired location. If you have knowledge
> of resources to learn more on this, resources a bit simpler than this
> https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/porting/conceptual/portingunix/portability/portability.html
>  I would love to hear about it, so they can contribute to my learning route.
> I will look into updating that wikipage.
>
> Chris.

I just noticed, we have a page for the changes already, but they need to be
updated.

        http://wiki.octave.org/Installing_Mac_OS_X_Bundle

Regarding an app-bundle, there' s a page for that as well.

        http://wiki.octave.org/Create_a_MacOS_X_App_Bundle_Using_MacPorts

Manually creating a bundle is too tedious to be reliable.  However, I think it
is possible to automate the process. Unfortunately, I haven't had the spare
time work on it, and don't know when I'll get back to it.

Ben