Re: GPIB serial poll of an instrument

From: Ron.Simonson
Subject: Re: GPIB serial poll of an instrument
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2013 10:35:06 -0700

On 07/12/2013 05:08 AM, CdeMills wrote:

Hummmm ... I've developped high performance acquisition solutions over
years. My advice is NOT to try to design some ONE-DO-IT-ALL tool. You are
mixing problems and constraints, bug in one piece of the code turn may
contaminate other part of the design ...

I prefer an clean approach, where the main task is subdivided into subtasks
and programs:
1) acquisition and data storage: the simpler the better. Use low-level
language (C) and buffer everything in a simple format. Store enough
information to be able to reconstruct a complete description of the
measurements.
2) data processing: Octave comes handy, use a pattern like load - analyse -
save
3) data consolidation and plotting: use either Octave in a second step,
either programs more oriented towards statistics, like R.

I agree quite strongly with the points made by CdeMills!  These points
are particularly important for tests that take a considerable length
of time to run and/or those that you cannot repeat if something goes
wrong.