Re: version differences

From: Lukas Reichlin
Subject: Re: version differences
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2013 06:50:22 +0200

On 04.07.2013, at 06:11, kbphinix <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I always wonder, when mature software application like "octave" updates to
> new versions. Is the change in version necessary so often? If one is able to
> use say, octave3.2.3, for most of one's work (e.g. control systems
> modelling), what real benefit one  gets ? No offence intended.
> --kbphinix

Well, there is a HUGE difference between the current control package version
2.4.2 (which requires Octave 3.6.x) and the old control-1.0.11 for Octave
3.2.3. The control manual states in its preface:

Preface

The GNU Octave control package from version 2 onwards was developed by Lukas F.
Reichlin and is based on the proven open-source library SLICOT. This new
package is intended as a replacement for control-1.0.11 by A. Scottedward Hodel
and his students. Its main features are:

• Reliable solvers for Lyapunov, Sylvester and algebraic Riccati equations.
• Pole placement techniques as well as H2 and H∞ synthesis methods.
• Frequency-weighted model and controller reduction.
• System identification by subspace methods.
• Overloaded operators due to the use of classes introduced with Octave 3.2.
• Support for descriptor state-space models and non-proper transfer functions.
• Improved MATLAB compatibility.

Details are to be found in the NEWS file [1] and the function referencene [2].

Hope this helps,
Lukas

[1]
http://sourceforge.net/p/octave/control/ci/default/tree/NEWS