Re: Does EgdeAlpha in fill()/patch() work?

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Does EgdeAlpha in fill()/patch() work?
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2013 15:59:32 +0800

On Jul 2, 2013, at 1:15 PM, notMyUsername wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I am trying to highlight a section of a plot by changing the background
> "behind" it.  The only way that I know to do that is to use fill() or
> patch() - which (as far as I know) is always over the top of the graph, but
> would be OK if I could get alpha to work... which I can't.  Here is sample
> code:
>
> f1=figure(1)
> clf;
> hold on
> grid on
> h=fill([90,210,210,90],[-.8,-.8,.8,.8]);
> set(h,'FaceColor',[0,0,0]);
> set(h,'FaceAlpha',0.25);
> set(h,'EdgeColor','none');
> set(h,'EdgeAlpha',0);
> set(h,'EdgeLighting','none');
> axis(50,250);
>
> When I use this, I do get a transparant rectangle but nothing I try gets rid
> of the edge of the rectangle - which I really, really do not want.  I just
> want a totally flat, featureless transparent rectangle  I have tried various
> values for "EdgeAlpha" but none have any effect.  Same for EdgeLighting.
> Does either actually do anything?
>
> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as this is driving me nuts.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Octave 3.6.4 using AquaTerm on OS X 10.6 via Homebrew
>
> P.S. Just as a side note, if I try putting any parameters (like
> 'color',[0,0,0]) in fill() octave hangs... but as long as set() works I'm
> O.K..

I can confirm what you see.  I don't have a solution or work around for you.

May I ask that you file a bug report?

        https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?group=octave

If know how to produce the "patch" using gnuplot that allows the border to be
turned off or made transparent, please include a description in the report.

Thanks,
Ben