Re: octave and postgres examples

From: richard
Subject: Re: octave and postgres examples
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 15:02:53 +0100

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 03:24:06PM +0200, Olaf Till wrote:
> > A work in progress hence it is kinda rough ...
>
> Richard,
>
> you should not construct strings from numbers in order to insert
> them. This will lose accuracy in floats, and also it is a pain. There
> are two better ways, 1. placeholders, and 2. the copy command.
>
> I'll outline this while commenting on the below. First, some messy
> things remain (if you indeed want numbers as column names), but you
> can shorten them, too. These are the column specifications for the
> float4 columns in 'create table':

Thanks Olaf, I will take a look at that. I'll mention that in Octave
space, it seems natural to use matricies, whereas in database space
named columns seem to be preferred. (And simple code is preferred in
case I have debugging to do three of four years from now).

I've a couple of other questions related to this:
Any thoughts on the speed of the these operation? I will check, but it
would be useful to know where to test?
Some of the data I look at has ~5000 columns, hence I split this over
several postgresql tables. Have you run across problems with getting
large tables into octave (I haven't gone there yet)?

regards and again, thanks

Richard