Re: M code for semiovariogram?

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: M code for semiovariogram?
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 11:16:24 -0700 (PDT)

forkandwait wrote
> Hi all,
>
> Is there some good, sort of simple, and free m-code calculating
> semiovariograms, fitted and experimental?
>
> I am looking for something that doesn't require compilation.
>
> octave-gpr looks like a good package, but I have trouble compiling
> packages on
> a MinGW system (windows at work -- yuck!), plus it seems much more complex
> and
> heavyweight than I need.
>
> It is for calculating a semiovariogram for US counties and a migration
> but it would be nice for me to have anyway for many projects.
>
> Since I just need a non-anisotropic semiovariogram, and no kriging, I am
> inclined to write it myself, but I don't mind standing on the shoulders
> whenever possible ...

There's lots of geostatistics code around in .m-file format, a few years
back I surveyed the web for directly usable scripts, much like you now.

The most accessible is probably the 'kriging toolbox' (google for it),
however it's a bit geared towards mining  - the 3D input requirements may be
a bit convoluted for simple 2D analyses.

Matlab Central probably has some.

In the Computers & Geosciences journal there must also be quite a bit. Some
of the stuff there has an open license, if not the authors can probably be
contacted.

Other than that I myself have lots of FORTRAN77 code lying around somewhere
on tape and floppies and even card decks - I did quite a bit of
geostatistics/cokriging some 25 years back and I wrote a fair bit of the
required stuff.

I suppose there's room for an easily usable geostatistics package on
Octave-Forge :-)

Philip