Re: Loading a large and unusually formatted dataset into an Octave matri

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Loading a large and unusually formatted dataset into an Octave matrix
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 00:52:53 +0000 (GMT)

On Jun 17, 2013, at 04:11 PM, Przemek Klosowski <address@hidden> wrote:

On 06/14/2013 02:04 PM, Elliot Gorokhovsky wrote:
> Hello! I am a new octave user and I am trying to predict the price of
> bitcoins 15 minutes in advance via neural networks for use on the
> website btcoracle.com <http://btcoracle.com>. I have about a gigabyte of
> data that looks like this:
>
> Inline image 1

It would help to actually include a sample few lines in a computer
readable format. Thanks to Ben for typing it in, I tried it using
external parsing:

command="perl -F'\"' -lane 'print \"$F[5] $F[9]\"' /tmp/bitcoin"
FD=popen(command,'r');

here, I was hoping that something like this would work:

a=fscanf(FD,"%d %d")

but I wasn't successful. How does one read a datastream from popen?

Take a look at the examples for popen().

help popen

That should at least get you closer.  Instead of the fputs(...), you'll want to use regexp(...,"match") or sscanf(...).  If you run an example using the fputs(stdout,s) in place and attached the text produced to your reply I (others?) can help out with the rest.

Ben