Re: problems getting GUI Octave to work properly

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: problems getting GUI Octave to work properly
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 10:22:42 -0400

On 16 June 2013 14:59, StefanSmith <address@hidden> wrote:
> I recently installed Octave and GUI Octave on my home computer.  I have read
> that the creators of GNU Octave have some kind of beef with the creators of
> GNU Octave.  They claim something to the effect that the creators of GUI
> Octave do not follow open source principles.

We don't endorse open source principles around here. We endorse
software freedom:

    http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html

One of the reasons we endorse it is precisely due to the problem
you're currently facing: GUI Octave isn't working for you, but there
is nothing we can do about it, since we don't have permission to fix
it for you. You'll have to beg the original author and only the
original author for improvements, but he almost certainly has other
licensing problems. It seems likely that he's using a Windows-only
non-free GUI toolkit that forbids the distribution he was doing;
trying to mask this usage is most likely the reason he never released
his source and thus did not want to comply with the GPL. This is just
a well-founded guess, though, the reason he publicly stated for not
releasing source was something about how this would compromise his
artistic integrity.

- Jordi G. H.