RE: Help with saveas and fltk

From: Rick M. Cox
Subject: RE: Help with saveas and fltk
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 12:44:02 -0700

From: Benjamin Abbott [mailto:address@hidden
Sent: Friday, June 14, 2013 3:36 AM
To: Nicholas Jankowski
Cc: Rick M. Cox; help-octave Octave

On Jun 14, 2013, at 6:25 PM, Nicholas Jankowski <address@hidden> wrote:

On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 10:55 PM, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:

On Jun 13, 2013, at 10:25 PM, "Rick M. Cox" <address@hidden> wrote:

 From: address@hidden [mailto:address@hidden] On Behalf Of Nicholas Jankowski

Sent: Thursday, June 13, 2013 6:57 PM
To: Rick M. Cox
Cc: Ben Abbott; help-octave Octave

On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 9:44 PM, Rick M. Cox <address@hidden> wrote:

From: Ben Abbott [mailto:address@hidden]
Sent: Thursday, June 13, 2013 5:58 PM
To: Rick M. Cox
Cc: 'Nicholas Jankowski'; 'help-octave Octave'

On Jun 13, 2013, at 03:12 PM, "Rick M. Cox" <address@hidden> wrote:

Nick and Ben:

I hope some of this helps:

1.      I haven’t seen the “D:\Program” error in a long time.

2.      I installed Octave 3.7.2+ and Ghostscript v9.07 in paths with no white spaces.  Even though I don’t use it anymore, I never deleted Octave 3.6.4.  It still resides in a path with white spaces.  I certainly could delete it if you thought it was a problem.

3.      I thought I correctly added Ghostscript to the system path/environment variables per the setup instructions.

4.      When I type system (“gswin32c.exe”) I get a Ghostscript 9.07 header.

I’m cheered that my routines work on your systems.  I’d like it to work on mine.  J

Thanks again,

Rick

I'm not sure it will help resolve the problem, but please type EXEC_PATH at Octave's prompt and copy-n-paste the text it returns into you reply.

Also tell us if you've installed more than one version of Ghostscript and where they are.

Ben

Ben:

I am sorry but I don’t know how to copy something from the Octave 3.7.2+ Command Window.  I can see the results of the EXEC_PATH command but I can’t copy them.  I have looked for help on the web but haven’t found the right thing yet.

As to your second question there is only one copy of Ghostscript installed on my machine.  When I tried to install it to a path with no white spaces, I had to uninstall the previous version first.  The path to Ghostscript on my machine is:

D:\Ghostscript\gs9.07

I added this path to the Environment Variables on my system.

Rick

Rick, also check to see if there's one in the Octave folder. The windows builds might have them included assuming most windows users wouldn't know what ghostscript is. It would be located here:

for my copy of version 3.6.4, its located at:

C:\Octave\Octave3.6.4_gcc4.6.2\gs

with the main executable as C:\Octave\Octave3.6.4_gcc4.6.2\gs\bin\gswin32.exe

Nick,

Since Rick is running the mingw version of Octave, is there a problem using gswin32.exe instead of the mingw gs.exe?

Ben

I believe on mine the executable included in octave is gswin32.exe, there is no gs.exe

and threadhopping to your other question, the MinGW version includes a shortcut that starts Octave in what I believe is the msys shell.  It doesn't add things to the system path such that runnign commands from the dos shell will automatically do anything.

On win7, I have an msys octave-3.6.2 that is able to print using gswin32.exe.  Which version of windows are you running?

Ben

Ben:

I am running Windows XP Pro SP3.  I use Octave 3.7.2+ with the GUI.  I had the same problem though with Octave 3.6.4.

Rick