Re: least square solution of b = A * x with a very huge A matrix

From: CdeMills
Subject: Re: least square solution of b = A * x with a very huge A matrix
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2013 05:43:28 -0700 (PDT)

andrea console wrote
> Thank you Pascal.
> As I see, I have a lot of iterative techniques for resolving a linear
> problem. How can I choose the better one for my particular system? And
> what
> about preconditioning matrix?

sorry for the delay, I was travelling. There is no 'one-size-fit-them-all'
answer. It depends on the behaviour of the gradient around the point where
you're evaluating the update parameters. Conjugate gradients algorithms
should converge in N steps at most for a square matrix of size (N, N) but
are usually much faster in many cases. Just try and check.

Regards

Pascal