Re: Octave takes forever to load

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Octave takes forever to load
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 10:12:30 -0400

On 31 May 2013 08:30, Ether Jones <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 5/31/13, marco atzeri <address@hidden> wrote:
>> A text format likely no,
>
> Why not?   The file is only 12MB.

If your file is that small, I assume all of your numbers are single digits?

Also, without a header the current algorithm parses the file twice,
once to get the size of the matrix, and again to actually read the
data in. This is a speed-memory tradeoff; if you cache values as you
read them, any data structure you could use will be slightly
inefficient, up to double the temporary storage size, for something
"obvious" like a linked list or an std::vector. Since people do want
to read huge matrices that can eat up all RAM, being conservative
about memory instead of speed seems reasonable.

I also suspect all of this is completely unrelated to your actual
problem and it probably has to do with the peculiarities of Windows IO
C++ libraries, which I've encountered before. A matrix that size here
in the free world loads in 4 seconds with a header and in 11 without a
header.

- Jordi G. H.