Plotting and Saving Figure Files

From: Rick M. Cox
Subject: Plotting and Saving Figure Files
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 15:51:28 -0700

Hello:

I have been using Octave for a couple of weeks and I am having a number of problems plotting and/or saving figures.

I am running Octave v3.6.4 with Win XP SP3.  I used the mingw package installation.  I downloaded the packages but none of them are loaded when I run Octave.

When I use ‘gnuplot’ the plot, axis and text functions work pretty much as described in the Octave documentation.  When I use axis (“square”) a plot of a circle is stretched according to the size and aspect ration of the figure window.  The embedded escape sequence for bold face type does not seem to work in the text function but other embedded escape sequences do work.  File saving seems to work.  The main issue is that ‘gnuplot’ is very, very slow on my system.

When I use ‘fltk’ the plot and axis functions seem to work as described in the documentation.  Embedded sequences and text rotation does not work in the text function.  Compared to ‘gnuplot’, ‘fltk’ is much faster.  The main issue with ‘fltk’ is that I cannot save figure files.  At best I get a partial and corrupted file with .png extensions and every other extension I have tried causes the figure window to go to “not responding” status and Octave to crash.

I really like Octave and want to make this work but these problems are very frustrating.  I have looked at many postings on the web but I can’t find anything useful to my situation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rick