Re: May I ask something about the governance of Octave?

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: May I ask something about the governance of Octave?
Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 09:02:15 -0400

On 26 May 2013 10:37, Ming Liu <address@hidden> wrote:
> Is it possible for me to ask another question? I saw a lot of active
> contributors are developing Octave, but they are not paid.
> What attract them to put such a great effort in this software?

My own reason to work on Octave is that I think we deserve free
software. We deserve to be able to share our work with each other
without limitation, we should be able to study each other's
algorithms, we should be able to reuse each other's work, and we
should not be subject to the restrictions that Mathworks tries to
impose on free scientific collaboration. Free science requires free
software.

I work on Octave because it's the right thing to do. I have had
non-free software imposed on me, and I don't want that to happen to
anyone else.

- Jordi G. H.