Re: "sh: -dQUIET: command not found" on MacOS X

From: Abbott, Ben
Subject: Re: "sh: -dQUIET: command not found" on MacOS X
Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 05:29:28 +0000

On May 23, 2013, at 12:50 PM, kabhi19 wrote:

> Ben,
>
> Sure, I will keep that in mind going forward.
>
> I have XQuartz 2.7.4 running on my mac. I installed Octave using the
> octave-3.4.0-i386.dmg file through the  link below.
>
> https://class.coursera.org/ml-003/wiki/view?page=OctaveInstallation#mac
>
> Thanks,
> Abhi

I'm unable to access the DMG.   My guess is that the DMG doesn't work correctly
on Mountain Lion, or is missing the ghostscript dependency.

While Octave's developers have provided DMG's in the past, some of Apple's
recent changes to MacOS X has broken the DMGs.  Some industrious individuals
have resolved many of the troubles, but it is not clear that all problems have
been fixed.

As a matter of policy we are currently encouraging uses to install Octave via
Fink, Macports, or Homebrew.

        http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_MacOS_X

Even so, it makes sense to try to fix your problem.  Perhaps the DMG behind the
coursera site can be fixed.   The error you are seeing is related to
ghostscript.  Please check to see if you have ghostscript installed and which
ghostscript octave is finding.  From Octave's command line type type the
following and copy-n-paste the result into your reply to this email.

        system ('which gs')

My guess is that you don't have ghostscript installed.  In which case, you are
only able to produce eps output.  Does the following work for your?

        print -depsc test.eps

Assuming ghostscript is missing, I suggest you install either Fink or Macports
and use one of these package managers to install ghostscript.  Either of these
package management programs are also able to install the most recent release of
Octave.

Ben