Re: Problems to install octave 3.6.4 and to run MPI examples

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Problems to install octave 3.6.4 and to run MPI examples
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 04:46:48 +0000 (GMT)

On May 19, 2013, at 09:27 PM, Edwardo <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi!

Right now, I have octave 3.4.2 installed in my computer. I also installed
the openmpi_ext 1.1.0 package to have access to MPI in octave. The problem
is that when I run an MPI example from the package it gives me segmentation
fault:

address@hidden ~ $ mpirun -np 2 octave -q --eval helloworld
We are at rank 0 that is master etc..
Greetings from process: 1!
panic: Segmentation fault -- stopping myself...
attempting to save variables to `octave-core'...
panic: Segmentation fault -- stopping myself...
attempting to save variables to `octave-core'...
mpirun noticed that process rank 0 with PID 12370 on node Zero exited on
signal 11 (Segmentation fault).

I think that the helloworld.m (type "edit helloworld" in octave to see it)
is well written. I dont understand what happens and I dont know how to fix
it...

So, I decided to install octeve 3.6.4 to see if this will fix it. I
downloaded it, but when I run the ./configure it says an error :

configure: WARNING: cURL library not found. The ftp objects, urlread and
urlwrite functions will be disabled.
checking whether ld accepts -framework OpenGL... no
checking for GL/gl.h... yes
checking for GL/glu.h... yes
checking for glEnable in -lGL... yes
checking for FT2... configure: error: Package requirements (freetype2) were
not met:

No package 'freetype2' found

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables FT2_CFLAGS
and FT2_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.

I dont know exactly how to fix it so that I can install it.
Can Someone help me?

Thanks!!

Note: If someone knows how to fix the MPI problem it will be really
appreciated, this is the only reason that I am trying to install the 3.6.4
version. I am triying to get MPI to run because I have some research stuff
to do an octave with MPI is just perfect for it.

I noticed the "-framework", are you building Octave on MacOS X?

If so, how are you satisfying Octave's dependencies? (package manager like Fink, Macports, Homebrew, or something else?)

What options did you use for configure?

Ben