mkoctfile not found on mac lion

From: Jeremiah A
Subject: mkoctfile not found on mac lion
Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 01:29:24 -0700

Hello,

My Mac Lion has Octave 3.4.0 installed and working. Yet, while attempting to install octcdf, I get the message:
configure: WARNING: no mkoctfile found on path

Install then fails. Seems that everyone says I need to install octave dev header files? The octave wiki link confuses me and seems to point to repositories that are non-Mac only:

http://wiki.octave.org/FAQ#I_cannot_install_a_package._Octave_complains_about_a_missing_mkoctfile.

As an inexperienced linux / Mac terminal user, I am completely lost. Any help would be hugely appreciated, keeping in mind that I'm a total newbie with this stuff.

Thank you very much!
Jeremy