Profiling C++ code in oct files

From: Daniel Kraft
Subject: Profiling C++ code in oct files
Date: Wed, 08 May 2013 13:20:40 +0200

Hi!

Is there a way to profile C++ code in .oct files?  I tried passing
CXXFLAGS="-pg <and standard ones>" to mkoctfile, but this is seemingly
not enough.  Executing the resulting .oct file through Octave doesn't
produce a gmon.out.

I've never before tried profiling a shared library in general, I think.
 Is there a way to get a gprof (or any other profiler) output?  I'm
seeing that a certain .oct file function takes a sizable chunk of
execution time using Octave's profiler, and now I want to find out where
in this code exactly the time is spent.

Unfortunately the code in question is tied heavily to the Octave API, so
I can't just extract "neutral" code, put it into a separate standalone
program, and profile that.  Would it be possible to use the Octave API
from a standalone program, and possibly do an equivalent of "load" to
get previously saved data into it?

Thanks a lot for any hints!  Yours,
Daniel

--