Re: xlsread in Octave 3.6.4

From: Arnaud Miege
Subject: Re: xlsread in Octave 3.6.4
Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 13:09:06 +0100

Oops, pressed send a bit too early...

On 7 May 2013 13:05, Arnaud Miege <address@hidden> wrote:

On 3 May 2013 20:09, PhilipNienhuis [via Octave] <address@hidden> wrote:
Just add the chk_spreadsheet_support command in your previous mail to your octaverc. That'll make sure the class libs are loaded (provided the java and io package are auto-loaded) when you start Octave.
(A similar line is included in PKG_ADD which is called when the io package gets loaded, but that mechanism is a bit fragile in this specific case.)

It seems that adding the PKG_ADD file suggested by Nitzan did the trick.

BTW as to ActiveX / Windows not working:

1. Did you update the release() and delete() functions in the ./@octave_com_object/ subdir for the windows-1.2.1 package from svn? Michael Goffioul (the Windows pkg maintainer) fixed those but AFAIK he didn't make a fixed Windows package.
From what I know of Nitzan (who made the 3.6.4 binary you're using) I expect the Windows package included with Octave-3.6.4-MinGW does contain the fixes.

2. Do you have 64-bit MS-Office installed? 64-bit MS-Office doesn't not support ActiveX controls written for 32 bits [1], e.g., the Windows package.

Philip

[1] http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee681792.aspx  (look halfway page under "Disadvantages")

Yes, I did update the release() and delete() functions. The O/S is win-xp 64-bit, but it is a 32-bit MS-Office installation (it is installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office).

What is interesting is that xlsread worked straight off in 3.6.2 (although that was the MSVC 2010 distribution, not the MinGW).

Thanks,

Arnaud