Re: Sparse Iterative Matrix Solvers

From: c.
Subject: Re: Sparse Iterative Matrix Solvers
Date: Sat, 4 May 2013 08:25:29 +0200

On 4 May 2013, at 03:12, Jen Stewart <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm wondering what sparse matrix solver package(s) octave is using. Are
> sparse matrices handled the same way as dense matrices, or is a different
> storage technique used?
Sparse matrices are stored as Compressed Sparse Column and handled mainly by
functions from
suitesparse [1]. Here is a report about the SparseMatrix class implementation
in Octave [2].

> I'm looking to use an iterative sparse matrix solver myself in solving some
> PDEs, and I'd like to be able to find a good one that is open-source rather
> than having to put a lot of work in myself.
If you are going to work on PDE solvers have a look at a some of those already
available before you start coding to avoid duplication [3,4,5].

> Thanks!
> Jen Stewart

HTH,
c.