Re: xlsread in Octave 3.6.4

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: xlsread in Octave 3.6.4
Date: Fri, 3 May 2013 12:09:24 -0700 (PDT)

am304 wrote
> PS: this is what I have in my octaverc file. I have just noticed that
> JAVA_HOME points to a different (but valid) location from what
> "chk_spreadsheet_support ([ OCTAVE_HOME "/lib/java" ], 3)" seems to find.
> Could that be the cause of the problem (I've removed all unnecessary
> commented lines)?

I doubt it as javaaddpath() works in your case. That means Java works OK.

> PS1 (">> ");
>
> ## Uncomment and change any of the following lines for your preferred
> editor
> EDITOR('C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Notepad++\\notepad++.exe');
> edit mode 'async';
>
> prefix=octave_config_info('prefix');
> EXEC_PATH([EXEC_PATH,';',prefix,'\gnuplot\bin']);
> EXEC_PATH([EXEC_PATH,';',prefix,'\mingw\bin;',prefix,'\mingw\msys\1.0\bin']);
> EXEC_PATH([EXEC_PATH,';',prefix,'\gs\bin']);
> graphics_toolkit('gnuplot');
> EXEC_PATH([EXEC_PATH,';',prefix,'\pstoedit']);
> EXEC_PATH([EXEC_PATH,';',prefix,'\fig2dev']);
> setenv GNUTERM wxt
>
> ## Uncomment following line and set respective JDK location in order to
> install java pkg
> setenv('JAVA_HOME','C:/Program Files/java/jdk1.7.0_11');

If you don't need to install the Java package just comment out this line.

> set(0,"defaulttextfontname","Arial"),
> set(0,"defaultaxesfontname","Arial");
> cd('L:\MatlabModels\')
> clear all

Just add the chk_spreadsheet_support command in your previous mail to your
octaverc. That'll make sure the class libs are loaded (provided the java and
io package are auto-loaded) when you start Octave.
(A similar line is included in PKG_ADD which is called when the io package
gets loaded, but that mechanism is a bit fragile in this specific case.)

BTW as to ActiveX / Windows not working:

1. Did you update the release() and delete() functions in the
./@octave_com_object/ subdir for the windows-1.2.1 package from svn? Michael
Goffioul (the Windows pkg maintainer) fixed those but AFAIK he didn't make a
fixed Windows package.
>From what I know of Nitzan (who made the 3.6.4 binary you're using) I expect
the Windows package included with Octave-3.6.4-MinGW does contain the fixes.

2. Do you have 64-bit MS-Office installed? 64-bit MS-Office doesn't not
support ActiveX controls written for 32 bits [1], e.g., the Windows package.

Philip

[1] http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee681792.aspx  (look halfway
page under "Disadvantages")