Re: New development for emacs's octave-mode

From: Leo Liu
Subject: Re: New development for emacs's octave-mode
Date: Thu, 02 May 2013 21:51:53 +0800

On 2013-05-02 19:44 +0800, Olaf Till wrote:
> a(1, end) -> 'end' not highlighted
>
> a(1, [1, end]) -> 'end' highlighted (always if 'end' is within [])

Basically this is due to my ignorance of the precise definition of index
expression. My implementation was based on
http://www.mathworks.co.uk/help/matlab/ref/end.html so it only checks if
'end' is inside ().

> I know nothing of emacs mode programming, so perhaps a stupid thought,
> but since in indentation it seems to be always correctly recognized if
> 'end' is _not_ part of an index expression, can't this information be
> used for highlighting?

They use different engines. The indentation uses an elisp package smie
(introduced in 24) while the font-locking is regexp-based.

> BTW I don't know if its better to highlight 'end' within index
> expressions or not.
>
> a = 'abc' -> highlighted as string
>
> 'abc' -> not highlighted

This is a bug. Basically it fails when ' is at line beginning. Let me
see if I can fix it.

> "abc" -> highlighted as string

This is safe since it is unambiguous.

> Olaf