Run script/function at regular intervals

From: Arnaud Miege
Subject: Run script/function at regular intervals
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 16:39:19 +0100

Hi,

I have a script (although it could be easily turned into a function if need be) that retrieves data from a website using urlread and saves (appends) it to a CSV file and also a data file. I would like to run this script at regular intervals, e.g. every hour, ideally in the background.

I have gone through the various timing functions in Octave, and the only one that seems adequate for the job is sleep. Is there a better solution? While Octave is "sleeping", does it mean I cannot do anything else unless I fire another instance of Octave? Is there any way to run this in the background?

Any suggestions welcome,

Thanks,

Arnaud