Re: required makeinfo version

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: required makeinfo version
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 22:39:30 +0800

On Apr 26, 2013, at 10:23 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

> On 26 April 2013 10:07, Leo Liu <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> On OS X makeinfo is stuck with version 4.8 which is too old but apple
>> isn't upgrading anything in GPL3.
>
> This is a good reason to avoid using Apple products. GPLv3 forbids
> Apple from restricting your devices and from certain patent
> litigations. Which ones of those is Apple keen on?

Its hard to judge what Apple is worried about.  I'm of the impression that Jobs
was concerned that Apple's products would be judged by the quality of the
software installed on its products.  It is possible that that concern has been
manifested in Apple's "App Store" and/or the "iTunes Store" policies.  I'm not
sure this concern merits being demonized.  For example, I think it reasonable
for Apple to protect its customers from viruses an such.  Any XP users remember
the software that promised to clean your PC of pop-ups, spyware, etc? ... Which
was little more than extortion as much of that garbage was written by the same
company(s) offering to clean your PC :-(

No doubt GPL based Linux is a preferred solution, but I'm not sure what
practical alternatives there are for a "for profit" company selling an OS.

Ben