Re: piecewise spline approximation

From: WizardOfBoz
Subject: Re: piecewise spline approximation
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 09:53:15 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks Nir!

I had looked at csaps, and csaps_sel (and interp1 and spline).   My
understanding of these functions is that I can put a vector of the
independent variables Xi into the argument list with data vectorx X and Y,
and get VALUES for the dependent variable Y at the points specified by Xi,
or I can just put X and Y in and get the polynomials coefficients at every
point in X.

But I can't get what I want, which is the coefficients for a small number of
polynomials splined over the intervals defined by the smaller vector Xi,
that give a good fit the data in the bigger vectors X and Y.

To explain: I have to take the polynomial coefficents out of Octave and use
them in another application that has some constraints on function building
and vector indexing.   I can manually kludge (for example) five piecewise
cubic polynomials, with five * 4 coefficients, into the other application.
But it would be a hassle to put something with 100 or 1000 polynomials into
that app.