Re: Roots of polynomials

From: Andy Buckle
Subject: Re: Roots of polynomials
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 11:53:29 +0100

On 17 April 2013 11:49, Urs Hackstein <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello,

there exists a built-in function "roots" which computes the roots of a given polynomial. How does octave computes these roots? This function is pretty fast, but are there faster functions doing the same? We have to compute the roots of a huge number of polynomials in our program, thus this could minimize the runtime.

Or are there faster algorithms in the case that we aren't interested in all roots, but only in a special root whose real part is already known?

I can help with part of the question do

type roots.m

and it will show you the code, so you can see how it is doing it.

--
/* andy buckle */