Re: complex line integral in octave

From: c.
Subject: Re: complex line integral in octave
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 19:27:51 +0200

On 16 Apr 2013, at 17:12, Urs Hackstein <address@hidden> wrote:

> Dear Carlo,
>
> thanks a lot for your suggestion which works well for the first edge of the
> rectangle. If I take the second edge, the function to integrate takes complex
> values and octave informs me that it will ignore the imaginary part. Have I
> thus to split up the integral into real resp. imaginary part after all while
> Stephen pointed out that this is not necessary? Or is there another routine
> than quad which allows to compute complex integrals directly?

Just to clarify,

my suggestion was only intended to explain a method to deal with parametrized
functions without resorting to global variables, you can see more details here:

http://wiki.octave.org/Cookbook#Parametrized_Functions

I was not suggesting to use quad to compute the integral of a function of a
complex
variable, I don't know whether that works, I never checked.
You're better off taking Stephen's advice on that part.

HTH,
c.