Re: having trouble installing on new pc

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: having trouble installing on new pc
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 14:18:21 -0700 (PDT)

andy buckle wrote
> On 12 April 2013 21:25, Nicholas Jankowski <

> jankowskin@

> > wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 3:46 PM, <

> MadduxSports@

> > wrote:
>>
>>> **
>>> I am not sure what dont top post means but I did CC the list this time
>>> so
>>> hopefully that is what you were talking about and fixes the problem.
>>>
>>> I was able to get the old version installed as well as the version Nick
>>> said to download.  I copied the M file and the csv from my old PC but
>>> when
>>> I run the script I get this error in the DOS window.
>>>
>>> *C:\Users\sal>"c:\Octave\3.2.4_gcc-4.4.0\bin\octave-3.2.4.exe" -q
>>> "c:\masseynew4\
>>> maddux.m" "c:\masseynew4\cfb"  1 0 0
>>> reading and preparing data
>>> error: `csv2cell' undefined near line 47 column 8
>>> error: called from:
>>> error:   c:\masseynew4\maddux.m at line 47, column 6*
>>> **
>>> Line 47 in my M file is this
>>> DATA = csv2cell(infile);
>>>
>>> So I dont know if I need one of those packages you might have said that
>>> causes problems to run this type of script.  When I did try it on the
>>> latest version Nick said to download I got the exact same error.  Ideas?
>>>
>>> Sal
>>>
>>>  In a message dated 4/12/2013 11:53:32 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
>>>

> andybuckle@

>  writes:
>>>

>>> On 12 April 2013 17:44, <

> MadduxSports@

>>> (please don't top post, please CC the list)
>>>
>>> If you want the same version as before, so you have to make no changes
>>> then here
>>>

>>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/octave/files/Octave%20Windows%20binaries/Octave%203.2.4%20for%20Windows%20MinGW32%20Installer/
>>>
>>> and get
>>>
>>>   Octave-3.2.4_i686-pc-mingw32_gcc-4.4.0_setup.exe
>>>

>>> Don't install the packages. At least one of them is known to cause
>>> issues. you will need to put those files, eg maddux.m back in the
>>> corresponding location on your new machine.
>>>

>>> --
>>> /* andy buckle */
>>>

>> Top Post: when you reply and stick your reply at the top, instead of at
>> the bottom like this. Bottom-posting is the preferred way to post things
>> for lists and newsgroups as it makes it easier to follow the thread.
>> Unfortunately, it's also the opposite of how most email clients are set
>> up
>> by default.
>>
>> Anyway, csv2cell is part of the io package.  so, I believe it won't won't

It currently is part of io, but at the time of Octave-3.2.4 csv2cell and
friends were in the miscellaneous package.
csv2cell is in the io package only since v. 1.0.18 (about a year ago).

> I am fairly sure there is a version of the io package in that build of
> 3.2.4. re-run the installer, and tick to install the io package. I

The miscellaneous package is there as well.

> remembered the name of the dodgy package: oct2mat. it's probably OK to
> install them all apart from oct2mat.

Yep, avoid oct2mat at all costs.

Anyway, be sure to check if the relevant packages are loaded  as well: do:

pkg list

and check if there's an asterisk next to the package name. If not, do:

pkg load <package-name_without_version_number>

(e.g., pkg load miscellaneous )

Philip