Re: installing netcdf with octave 3.6.2

From: Alexander Barth
Subject: Re: installing netcdf with octave 3.6.2
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 13:33:58 +0200

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 1:06 AM, Clinton Winant <address@hidden> wrote:
I detect some annoyance in answers to my previous questions, and if I missed something obvious,

"Installation with octave's package manager (recommended)

Recent version of octave (tested with 3.6.2) can automatically download packages and install them in one command:

pkg install -global -forge octcdf

"
There are no rejoinmders about reading FAQ's (too many to be useful) or installing other packages.  However the above just does NOT work as stated.

> Responders to the help forum could avoid getting annoyed if instructions such as the above were  amended and made correct.

The very first section of the webpage http://modb.oce.ulg.ac.be/mediawiki/index.php/NetCDF_toolbox_for_Octave (which I wrote) states what you need to install octcdf. Please read the entire instructions before complaining that something does not work as stated. For your reference:

Requirements

  1. NetCDF libraries and headers (version 3.6.0 or later). Detailed installing instructions are available from the NetCDF site.
  2. Octave and headers (version 3.3.51 or higher)
  3. gcc and g++ (the same version used to build octave)