Re: how to make a 3D surface

From: Przemek Klosowski
Subject: Re: how to make a 3D surface
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 16:42:03 -0400

On 03/27/2013 01:53 PM, thrmathe wrote:
let me explain better, the three file columns represent the three respective
axes X, Y, Z and I want to do is generate the surface of said columns, not
if I understand?

I think that you want to plot a surface that for each X,Y point passes through the Z point. In order to do that, you have to specify the scheme in which your X,Y points are connected to each other. If you wonder why it's important, please consider that unlike in the one-dimensional case, there's no unique default ordering of values in the X-Y plane. Even in the 1D case you get a different plot depending on whether your X values are sorted or not---in 2D you can't even order them in some default way.

There are two ways to solve this:

- either provide or interpolate your data on a regular X-Y grid

- provide or calculate some sort of nearest-neighbor irregular grid, e.g. by doing Voronoi interpolation.