Greek letter "mu" printed as infinity in pdf

From: Forrest Gasdia
Subject: Greek letter "mu" printed as infinity in pdf
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 23:00:50 -0700

Hello all,

I want to use the Greek letter mu in an octave plot title. The plot gets printed to a pdf but in the pdf the mu is actually an infinity symbol. I also try to print a lower case sigma and it displays properly. Here is a minimum working example which includes everything I think might be relevant (a pdf of the output is also attached):

#MWE

clear all;

set(gcf, 'renderer', 'painters'); figure(gcf);
set(0,"defaultaxesfontname","Helvetica");
set(0,"defaulttextfontname","Helvetica");

A = rand(50,1);

#Create histogram of each plot
clf ();

hist(A,25);
str = sprintf("\\mu=%.4f, \\sigma=%.4f",mean(A),std(A));
title(str);
set(gca, 'xtick', [0:.1:1]);

print -dpdf test_plot;