Re: interactive octave tutorial

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: interactive octave tutorial
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 08:37:51 -0400

On Mar 20, 2013, at 4:52 AM, Alexander Barth wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Is anybody aware of an interactive tutorial of octave (ideally web-based)?
> I'm looking for a tutorial with the basics of octave for Master students
> which do not necessarily have a background in programming. Covering such
> things as variables, arrays, loops, if-statements and some essential octave
> functions.
>
> The interactive part would come from the exercises. For example students must
> compute the product of all numbers from 1 to 10 with octave and enter the
> solution in the web-page. Then the answer is compared to the right solution
> and an octave snippet is shown how the question can be solved.
>
> I don't think it is necessary to make the octave interpreter somehow
> available within the web-page. Just a web-page with some Javascript for
> correcting the exercise would be sufficient.
>
> Regards,
> Alex

There are some reasonable tutorial available on the web.

        http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Octave_Programming_Tutorial

        http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Octave_Programming_Tutorial/Getting_started

http://math.jacobs-university.de/oliver/teaching/iub/resources/octave/octave-intro/octave-intro.html

There is also a web interface for Octave.

        http://knn.mimuw.edu.pl/weboctave-project/
        http://weboctave.mimuw.edu.pl/weboctave/web/

All we need is a motivated inidividual to wrap it all together.  Maybe this
could be a project for GSoC?  I'll make a proposal and CC you

Ben