Re: Edit problem Octave

From: am304
Subject: Re: Edit problem Octave
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 04:53:30 -0700 (PDT)

c.-2 wrote
>  … but, apart from a few important exceptions, a minor proportion of
> Octave developers,
> we need more help from people who know and use windows.
>
> The "edit" command is implemented in this simple m-file script:
>
> http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/file/b74c4e967f76/scripts/miscellaneous/edit.m
>
> So there is no need of knowing any other programming language but Octave
> to work on it.
> Can you propose and test changes that would make it work better on
> windows?
>
> thanks,
> c.

I am not a developer, just a user, but have entered debug mode with dbstop
when calling edit.m. The problem seems to be with line 299:

which generates the error message:

I have tried a \\,\,/,// as a separator for the editor and they all generate
the same error except "\" which gives a different error:

So in the end, I stuck with

in my .octaverc file. I then tried switching the mode from sync to async,
and suddenly it started working (in debug mode). I then exited debug mode
and tried it again, and it still worked. I am slightly puzzled by that
because I am sure I tried the different modes to no avail previously, so
it's all a bit of a mystery for me as to why all of a sudden it started to
work. I guess I'll see it keeps on working, and if it doesn't I'll report
back here.

Thanks,

Arnaud