Re: Video processing in Octave vs. Matlab

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: Video processing in Octave vs. Matlab
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 11:24:49 -0700 (PDT)

svla299 wrote
> I would like to have some view on the following topic in order to decide
> whether to proceed or not with a project I'm doing. The project has to do
> with video summarization: the application processes video files shrinking
> them by taking out motionless and soundless parts. The code was originally
> written in Matlab and works. The main question is: Is video processing
> mature enough in Octave in order to port the application from Matlab to
> Octave?  As an example, I have tried to replace Matlab's function
> VideoReader with aviinfo but can't get back the number of frames.

It depends on how the video package was compiled, or rather, how the
underlying ffmpeg lib was built. If the codec you need wasn't included
you're SOL.

Apart from that, relating to your aims: I don't know if the video package
supports cutting individual frames at all.
Finally one could wonder if Matlab/Octave is the right tool for it. There
must be dozens of video packages around that can output filtered videos;
I've used avidemux for some filter tasks (though not quite what you need to
do).

Philip