Video processing in Octave vs. Matlab

From: svla299
Subject: Video processing in Octave vs. Matlab
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 07:05:04 -0700 (PDT)

I would like to have some view on the following topic in order to decide
whether to proceed or not with a project I'm doing. The project has to do
with video summarization: the application processes video files shrinking
them by taking out motionless and soundless parts. The code was originally
written in Matlab and works. The main question is: Is video processing
mature enough in Octave in order to port the application from Matlab to
Octave?  As an example, I have tried to replace Matlab's function
VideoReader with aviinfo but can't get back the number of frames.