[nearly offtopic] Feature that makes easy to locate to similar previous

From: Pedro
Subject: [nearly offtopic] Feature that makes easy to locate to similar previous commands
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 02:42:29 +0100

Hi,

Octave have a feature that when you put some commands, for example:

version
pkg list
ls

And if now you press "v" and later, the "up" arrow, you go to the
first occurrence that start with "v", so this is "version" (more up
arrow goes to more terms that start with "v").
This is great.
My question is if I can make this with simple bash commandline,
editing something in .bashrc ?

Thanks!
Pedro