Re: How to set different dot and dash sizes in plot

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: How to set different dot and dash sizes in plot
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 20:06:54 -0500

On Feb 27, 2013, at 4:44 PM, Trastu wrote:

> I’m plotting two curves in one figure, using dash and dash-dot style; the
> result is hardly distinguishable as both dashes and dots are plotted in a
> very small size; changing the ‘markersize’ parameter doesn’t seem to make any
> difference.
> How can I make them look a little bigger so they can be more easily seen?

The dash length and dot size varies with the gnuplot terminal.  As far as I
know, gnuplot doesn't have a way to changing the duty-factor or size of its
dashes or dots.  However, you may find the behavior of a different terminal
works better.  On MacOS X, I'm able to use "x11", "aqua", and "qt".

        graphics_toolkit gnuplot
        close all
        setenv ("GNUTERM", "x11")
        x = 1:4;
        plot (x, rand (1,4), "-", x, rand (1,4), "--", x, rand (1,4), "-.", x,
rand (1,4), ":")

You can try other terminals by replacing "x11" with "wxt" (on Linux) or
"windows" on Windows.

If you are using a recent version of Octave, I suggest you try using the fltk
toolkit.

        graphics_toolkit fltk
        close all
        x = 1:4;
        plot (x, rand (1,4), "-", x, rand (1,4), "--", x, rand (1,4), "-.", x,
rand (1,4), ":")

 Ben