Re: Matlab compiled mex files in octave

From: Henry Gomersall
Subject: Re: Matlab compiled mex files in octave
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 23:06:20 +0000

On Wed, 2013-02-20 at 11:56 -0500, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
> On 20 February 2013 11:48, Francesco Potortì <address@hidden>
> wrote:
> >>This is also violates Octave's copyright.
> >
> > Why does it?  I cannot access the site now, but if it's only
> > instructions on how to do something it cannot violate copyright.
> Where
> > am I wrong?
>
> There is a tiny library that is being created through mkoctfile whose
> purpose is to link Octave to the non-free mex. The resulting
> combination of Octave + wrapper library + mex blob is a GPL violation.

Let's be clear about what the GPL actually says:

"You may make, run and propagate covered works that you do not convey,
without conditions so long as your license otherwise remains in force.
You may convey covered works to others for the sole purpose of having
them make modifications exclusively for you, or provide you with
facilities for running those works, provided that you comply with the
terms of this License in conveying all material for which you do not
control copyright."

Conveying is quite clearly defined:
"To “convey” a work means any kind of propagation that enables other
parties to make or receive copies. Mere interaction with a user through
a computer network, with no transfer of a copy, is not conveying."

I don't think there is any ambiguity regarding both the blog post, as
well as individually implementing the content of the blog post. I think
the "without conditions" bit is the important point.

Cheers,

Henry