Re: Building/installing octave-forge from SVN

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: Building/installing octave-forge from SVN
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 16:53:07 +0000

On 17 February 2013 16:31,  <address@hidden> wrote:
> Message: 3
> Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 20:37:04 -0600
> From: Russell Haley <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: Building/installing octave-forge from SVN
>
> The README file in the SVN repo says there's supposed to be an INSTALL
> file, an autogen.sh, and/or a top level makefile.  I don't see any of these.
>
> What is the current procedure for building packages from the
> octave-forge SVN?

Hi Russel

those files and their instructions are left overs from when Octave
Forge made monolithic releases (all packages released together). This
is no longer true and each directory inside main/ and extra/ is an
individual package, released individually whenever its maintainer sees
fit.

You should not have to build any packages, you just create a tarball
of the directory and install it from the Octave prompt with "pkg
install path-to-tarball". Some packages may require to run bootstrap
or autogen before creating the tarball but those will be the exception
rather than the rule.

Carnë